Tuesday 21 August 2018

Friday's Long Cycle

   Friday means only one thing, its long cycle day. Twice a week, usually Mondays and Fridays I expand the usual daily cycle rides and head off out to pastures new exploring those remote parts of the East Anglian Fens. So this Friday off I set with the route in my head and expectations high, for I was heading off towards a few villages I'd yet to visit. I was soon cycling through the little hamlet of Emneth Hungate followed by the very long narrow village of Marshland St James until passing on through St Johns Fen End, this road led me to my first objective of the day, the busy little village of Terrington St John.


   The village has a large village store plus family fish n chip shop, it also, of course, has a beautiful parish church which you reach by passing over the A47. The Church of St John I was told was delightful and they were indeed correct. It is open to the public most days and worth time exploring the outstanding architecture and carved timber features inside, I will post more about the church in future blogs.


   From Terrington St John I headed off down St Johns Highway towards Walpole St Peter, passing a wonderful old derelict windmill. Once in the village, I followed the signs to the church and was confronted with what can only be described as a magnificent church, the Church of St Peter. The church stood high and proud surrounded by the perfect example of a picturesque village. Again this church is open most days and if any of you get the chance you really must pay a visit, so many amazing features inside and out. I will, without a doubt, be posting a whole post here about this church in the coming weeks, there is so much to show and mention it would be a crime not to.
   I'm not a religious man, only attending family weddings and funerals but I must admit I enjoy the architecture that such places provide. The thoughts of the work in building these huge stone houses of God always fill my mind as I jump off my bike to rest for a few minutes.






   After a well spent 30 minutes, I was off across the village towards Walpole St Andrew and what may possibly be my best find ever. As you entre Walpole St Andrew you will once again see the parish church, in this case, the church of St Andrew, built in the 15th century. There was a 12th-century church that once stood on the same site of which a font bowl still remains inside on the stone floor. The church is now redundant and has been for a number of years now.




   Then while walking around the church I saw it, what looked like a wonderful village sign made of steel. As I went closer I realized it was indeed a village sign and the most stunning example it was too. As you can see in the picture below the detailing is amazing giving such a unique finish.




   So happy with the discoveries I had made for the day it was time to head back off towards Upwell completing a journey of just over 40 miles and every mile an enjoyable one.
 

1 comment:

Nice To Be Back

    It's been a busy week work wise and a bloody hot one too sharing space with my kiln and torch but hey, If I'm not used to that b...