Saturday 11 August 2018

Sometimes Little Is Best

    On my many cycles trips around the fens over the last 18 months, I have found that some of the most amazing little finds in the way of old or interesting buildings are often found in the smaller villages and in some cases tiny hamlets out in the middle of nowhere. One such discovery was the wonderful forgotten railway station at Middle Drove.
   There I was cycling along a very remote part of the fens, and a road I had driven down many times in my car, when there beside me standing on the left-hand side of the road was what can only be called a beautiful little Victorian railway station complete with platform and apart from the lack of a track it was so complete that it looked as if everybody had just walked away an hour ago, I stood there expecting the smell of a steam engine to reach my nose, it was a very strange feeling indeed. It just goes to show how much we miss when travelling in our cars, not just in nature but also man built.


   After a bit of research, I found it was indeed a Victorian station opened in 1848 and was closed in 1968. The line was an extension of the railway line from Magdalen station to Wisbech East and was used mostly to transport produce to the markets.


1 comment:

  1. Amazing...….170 years old looking a bit tired but still standing

    ReplyDelete

Nice To Be Back

    It's been a busy week work wise and a bloody hot one too sharing space with my kiln and torch but hey, If I'm not used to that b...