Sunday 14 October 2018

Fen Oddities

   While many who cycle the fens are seen flying along drove roads head down, legs pumping and bright cycle fashion shouting out to the world, some of us are enjoying the natural and unnatural pleasures that the great land of marsh and fen offer us. I fully understand those who wish to race around breaking personal best times and I guess if I had the perfect body I may also enjoy wearing labels that the so-called elite in cycling seem to relish, but for me, cycling means far more than that.


   Firstly cycling is the best way for me to head towards a healthier life, a way of reducing my weight and feeling better about myself. Secondly, it's a way for me to explore the amazing fenlands and head down legs pumping would not make this possible, it would only turn each journey into a chore rather than a pleasure. Because of this, I seem to find some amazing little gems, from a little reading room long since used, old farm implements, beautiful derelict churches and the forgotten buildings that were homes and shelters for lost generations of fen tigers. Also, I often uncover some small man-made curiosities in hedgerows and front gardens like the amazing glass garden pod or the beautiful handcrafted wrought iron weathervanes. Below is a special little lovers mark I found in the bark of a tree just outside the tiny fen village of Wiggenhall St Mary, made from tiny nails many many years ago. by Rick and Lisa.


   The many churches, of course, bring with them lots of oddities as well as some stunning architecture but often it's the old deserted farmyards and buildings that produce some stunning gems of past fen life. Old tools and farm implements among them and sometimes I cycle through villages that I have passed through by car a hundred times and there sits some wonderful old piece of lost village life staring me straight in the eye, how much do we miss in our motor cars, our world seems so busy and rushed.
 


1 comment:

  1. Most people who drive as a means from getting from A to B in the quickest possible time really do miss out on all the lovely places and things that are right there in front of them, on the other hand some people are just not bothered, which is a shame really.

    ReplyDelete

Nice To Be Back

    It's been a busy week work wise and a bloody hot one too sharing space with my kiln and torch but hey, If I'm not used to that b...